Susan has extensive experience advising clients in relation to contracts and public procurements, having led on procurements for various types of goods, services and works for unitary authorities; county councils; districts, boroughs; Fire and Rescue Authorities; and local authority wholly-owned companies. Susan advises as to the legal and procurement implications; drafts contract documents; provides advice regarding procurement documents; and provides advice regarding ad-hoc queries.
Susan, also, provides commercial advice regarding alternative delivery structures including, but not limited to, companies, joint ventures and shared services. Susan liaises with clients to establish the optimum delivery model.
Susan provides corporate governance advice to companies and undertakes company secretarial duties for local authority trading companies.
Susan, also, has a history of providing corporate governance advice to local authorities, having previously successfully completed the Law Society’s Diploma in Local Government Law and Practice. Susan regularly advises local authorities as to their decision-making powers and acts on behalf of the Monitoring Officer.
- Incorporating local authority trading companies for various services and providing advice to the companies, including company secretarial services and commercial advice
- Acquisition of a private company
- Advising as to applications by local authorities to the European Regional Development Fund, including state aid. Setting up shared service arrangements between local authorities for use of the grant funding and advising with regards to the procurement of a provider to deliver services
- Providing advice as to the creation of a regional adoption agency, including the appropriate structure to deliver the objectives of the local authorities
- Procuring framework agreements for adult social care and health services as part of collaboration between local authorities and NHS bodies
- Advising on the disaggregation of public health services between two local authorities and three NHS bodies. Advising one of the local authorities on the procurement of its public health services following disaggregation
- Procuring IT systems such as a hosted financial management system framework agreement; and a payroll and HR system
- Providing corporate governance advice to local authorities, including vires; advice and support to decision-makers, including boards and committees; and member involvement
- Providing advice as to information governance, including freedom of information, data protection and confidentiality