Paul has been Essex County Council’s Monitoring Officer or deputy since 2013. He has overall responsibility for the County Council’s constitution and its formal decision making processes as well as supporting Councillors across the political spectrum.
Paul has 25 years’ legal experience across almost all areas of local authority law and prides himself on taking a risk aware approach, ensuring that the decisions taken by the County Council are as safe as possible.
Paul deals with complex complaints and is adviser to the Essex Police and Crime Panel on complaints. He has particular experience as senior responsible officer for Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.
- Successful management of Member Conduct issues and revision of the Member Code of Conduct
- Advice on FOI and data protection including dealing with enforcement/complaints to the Information Commissioner
- Devolution – Advised the County Councils Network on Devolution
- Representing ECC on the North Essex Garden Communities project
- Advice on Pension Fund Pooling and creation of a joint committee
- Led introduction of policy and system relating to DBS checks for Members
- Advice on County Council elections